Wednesday 10 September 2014

Feeling bad for not feeling bad!!

Today brought a day that I had for a long time been looking forward to...Jacob`s first day in reception.

Now there are many, many mums out there that have been dreading this day but for me I was happy for it to arrive. I know I`m going to be told I`m cold hearted that I was counting down the days till the end of the holidays but I knew that Jacob would be fine and that he he was soooo ready to start school.

Jacob is a very confident and bright little boy who needs stimulation and the need to learn has been apparent from an early age.


To say that I was counting down the days till he started school didn`t mean that I didn`t cry today....I did!!!

In the run up to today I have heard other mums saying that they are so emotional and crying all the time about their child starting school, and the whole time I have been like, nope I`m ok with it happening.

I started to feel bad for not feeling bad!!

This morning Jacob woke with so much enthusiasm about going to school that it warmed my heart. He jumped out of bed and asked if he could get dressed for school before breakfast but unfortunately he wasn`t due to start till 1 pm; a random time in my eyes but the school had decided to cut the class in half and do a staggered entry.

I was slightly apprehensive as to how Jacob would go into school this afternoon but I need not of worried....he ran on in and I had to call him back to grab a kiss and hug!!!


Emotionally I was ok until I found a lovely poem written by Emma Robinson from Motherhood for Slackers / http://www.facebook.com/motherhoodforslackers....after reading it I was a blubbering wreck!!!

Let me know what you think xxx

Dear Teacher


I know you're rather busy 
First day back, there's just no time
A whole new class of little ones 
And this one here is mine



I'm sure you have things covered
And have done this lots before
But my boy is very little
He hasn't long turned four



In his uniform this morning
He looked so tall and steady
But now beside your great big school
I’m not quite sure he’s ready



Do you help them eat their lunch?
Are you quick to soothe their fears?
And if he falls and hurts his knee
Will someone dry his tears?



And what if no-one plays with him?
What if someone’s mean?
What if two kids have a fight 
And he’s caught in between?



You’re right, I have to leave now
It’s time for him to go
I’m sure he’ll learn so much from you
Things that I don’t know



Yes, I’m sure they settle quickly
That he’s fine now without me
I know he has to go to school
It’s just so fast, you see



It seems like just a blink ago
I first held him in my arms
It’s been my job to love, to teach
To keep him safe from harm



So, when I wave goodbye in a moment 
And he turns to walk inside 
Forgive me if I crumple
Into tears of loss and pride



I know as I give him one more kiss
And watch him walk away, 
That he’ll never again be wholly mine
As he was before today.

Dear Parent,



I understand that you are scared
to wave your child goodbye
and leave him in a teacher’s hands
don’t worry if you cry!

I’m used to weeping parents
It’s hard to leave I know. 
But it’s time to share him (just a bit)
To help him learn and grow.

Let me reassure you
That I’ll give your child my best
I’ll wipe his tears, soothe his fears 
And change his dirty vest!

If your darling child is full of cold
I’ll blow their nose all day
Just like you, I’ll care for them
In a special way.

I’ll treat him like I would my own
I’ll catch him from a fall and
If there is ANY problem 
I’ll be sure to tell you all.

It’s true he’ll grow to love us
They’ll talk of school a lot
It doesn’t mean they hate you
And that you should lose the plot!

I’ll tell you a secret..
That when your child is here
They talk to me as much of you
Of this please have no fear.

You’ll always be their mother
Whilst teachers come and go
To them you are their number one
This I truly know.

Soon you’ll see some changes 
In your little girl or boy
They’ll become more independent 
And to see this, it’s a joy!

I’ll teach them all I have to give
To share, climb and to write
But to you they safely will return
To tuck them in at night.

With love from a teacher…

By Emma Robinson and Leonie Roberts

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic poem.And your little one looks and sounds like he did brilliantly. I am so nervous about Buba starting next September but at the same time I know he will be ready as he is keen to learn make new friends and be stimulated. It's all so scary though isn't it. this poem made me cry. lol Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete